Welcome back – I hope you had a good break. All the staff are very grateful for the kind good wishes and gifts we had – many thanks from all of us.
This term Oak Class will be swimming on Fridays, starting 13th January. A separate letter was sent out today for permissions and payment.
These sessions start on Monday 9th January for Year 4 and Tuesday 10th January for Year 6.
Clubs start next Monday 9th January. Please make sure you have booked in. The booking form is attached to this e-mail in case it has been mislaid.
I am pleased to say that we converted to academy status without a hitch on 1st January and Dr South’s is now a member of the Oxford Diocesan Schools Trust (ODST). Governors were clear that this change was the best way to protect the many good things about Dr South’s so, while our formal governance has altered, on a day-to-day basis there will be little obvious change. We are looking forward to working with the ODST team and to the many opportunities this will bring.
As some of you know, I have been providing significant support to my father over the last few months due to his declining health. It has been challenging to combine these caring responsibilities with my work at school, so I was grateful when, in December, the governors agreed that I could change my work pattern to four days per week on a temporary basis until August to help me with this. Mrs Watson agreed to go from four to five days a week and to be Acting Head on Fridays (currently her day off), although the overall responsibility of running the school will remain mine. If you have any urgent issues on a Friday, Mrs Watson will be able to deal with them, but e-mails during this time will wait until my return on the Monday. Sadly and unexpectedly, my father died over the holiday, but governors have agreed to my request that the arrangements stay in place, as I have many duties over the coming months which need significant attention. I am grateful to all the teachers, staff and governors for their support.
Future events (w/b Monday 9th January)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art – Year 5
- Sport – Year 6
- Forest School – Year 4
- Forest School – Year 6
- Finance Governors
- Swimming – Oak Class
Useful dates for the year
- 10/02/17 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- End of Spring Term 1
- 20/02/17 8.50am Start of Spring Term 2
- 22/02/17 Parent consultations
- 23/02/17 Parent consultations
- 01/03/17 Oak Class charity event
- 24/03/17 Red Nose Day
- 07/04/17 2.00pm Church service led by Oak Class
- End of Spring Term 2
- 24/04/17 8.50am Start of Summer Term 1
- 19/05/17 2.30pm Oak Class sharing assembly
- 26/05/17 May Day
- End of Summer Term 1
- 06/06/17 8.50am Start of Summer Term 2
- 14/06/17 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 16/06/17 2.30pm Willow Class sharing assembly
- 05/07/17 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 13/07/17 1.30pm Oak and Beech production
- 14/03/17 2.30pm Ash Class sharing assembly
- 18/07/17 9.30am Sport morning
- 20/07/17 9.30am Sport morning reserve
- 21/07/17 2.00pm Leavers’ service
- End of Summer Term 2
Our Christian value for the term is Truthfulness. Have a discussion with your child about what they understand by the word.