Dear parents and carers,
Willow Class Nativity – Wednesday 11th December
Family and friends are invited to this lovely event next week. Please assemble in the school hall after drop off and buy raffle tickets whilst you wait. Donations of raffle prizes will be gratefully accepted.
Christmas Lunch and Jumpers – Wednesday 11th December
We are having our Christmas lunch next Wednesday. The children are invited to wear a festive jumper for the day, and are invited to bring £1 to donate to Save the Children if they wish. We do not suggest you buy a special jumper for the occasion, but the children may wish to add some tinsel or antlers to their attire.
Pantomime Trip – Thursday 12th December
We are looking forward to this event next week. The trip takes place entirely during the school day, but the children need to bring a packed lunch that day as we will not be back to school in time for the hot dinners. Please talk to the office staff if this causes a problem.
Christmas Bazaar – Friday 13th December
This popular annual event is coming up next week, and for it we will be asking for donations of very small items from each family (if possible, up to 10 items per child). These items may be left at the school office from the beginning of December. They may be wrapped in cellophane, or tied up with ribbon or coloured string. Please do not wrap in Christmas wrapping paper as the children are then unable to see what they are buying. At the bazaar the items are priced at about 20p each. For the new families, there is a basket of example items on display in the Office.
Children’s Christmas party – Friday 13th December.
This will take place in the Village Hall from 5.00pm to 7.00pm and all children from the school are invited, although they need to be accompanied by an adult. The cost is £3.50 per child. Many thanks to the Friends of Dr South’s for organising this.
Wellbeing Day – Monday 16th December
We are taking time out with the children in the hectic run up to Christmas, and will be having a day with a focus on calmness and wellbeing. There will be a number of suitable activities for the children to try (including meditation, relaxation to music, yoga, exercise) and they will experience these in their school family groups (cross-class groupings).
Carol Service – Tuesday 17th December, 2.00pm
Everybody is welcome at the church to end the term in style. Ash Class will lead this with a traditional retelling of the Christmas story, along with congregational carols. We then finish for the term at the end of the service.
The letter for this is being sent out today. It would be appreciated if it could be returned next week. Thank you.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Samuel H, for beautiful phonics and reading;
- Ash Class: Darcey, for working extra hard on solving tricky maths problems about money; Hughie, for great effort in using suffixes in phonics;
- Oak Class: Emily, for great response to feedback; Noah, for showing good responsibility and making sensible choices;
- Beech Class: Seth, for an entertaining quest story; Margot, for fabulous work on percentages;
- Sport: All of Year 6 for great camaraderie shown towards each other;
- Art: Helena, for excellent independent work and use of colour;
- Cookery: Bear, for increasing confidence and remembering the safety rules.
Our Christian Value this term is Generosity. Ask your child about how we can show generosity at Christmas.
Future events (w/b 9th December)
- Cookery: Year 2
- Art: Year 6
- Sport: Year 5
- Year 5 Forest School
- Year 3/4 Forest School
- Christmas Jumper Day
- Christmas Lunch
- 9.30am, Willow Class Nativity
- Oak and Beech classes sing to the village Lunch Club
- Pantomime trip – bring packed lunch
- Children bazaar and grotto
- Beech Class swimming
- Wellbeing Day
- 2.00pm, Carol Service and Ash Class nativity
Dates for the year
- 13/12/2019 Reception class vision screening
- FODS Christmas party
- 16/12/2019 Wellbeing Day
- 17/12/2019 2.00pm Ash Class nativity in the church
- End of term
- 18/12/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 19/12/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 06/01/2020 Start of term
- 17/01/2020 Beech Class charity event
- 05/02/2020 Reception/Y6 heights and weights measurement
- 14/02/2020 Soup Lunch and Talent Show in the Village Hall
- 17/02/2020 Half term week
- 05/03/2020 World Book Day
- 06/03/2020 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 13/03/2020 Sport Relief Day
- 27/03/2020 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/04/2020 2.00pm Oak Class Stations of the Cross service in the church
- End of term
- 20/04/2020 Start of term
- 08/05/2020 Friday Bank Holiday – school closed
- 22/05/2020 May Day celebrations
- 25/05/2020 Half term week
- 08/06/2020 Beech Class residential
- 23/06/2020 Sports Day (all day, with family picnic at lunchtime)
- 01/07/2020 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production in the Village Hall
- 09/07/2020 1.30pm/6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production in the Village Hall
- 10/07/2020 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 15/07/2020 Reserve Sports Day
- 17/07/2020 2.00pm Leavers’ Service in the church
- End of term
- 20/07/2020 INSET Day – school closed
- 21/07/2020 INSET Day – school closed