Dear parents and carers,
Welcome back! I hope you had a good break and are ready and refreshed for the new year.
We begin the year with a focus on issues around Equalities. All of next week the children will look at certain areas such as racial equality, disability issues and world trade and poverty. Although we cover these throughout the year on an ongoing basis, we find it helpful to have a particular focus once per year. Do ask your child what they are doing in this most important of areas as the week progresses.
Meet the Teacher
Many of you have children starting with new teachers so do come and meet them next week and find out about class routines. On Monday at 3.00pm, Mrs Watson will be talking about Beech Class, on Tuesday at 3.00pm Miss Talboys will be talking about Ash Class, on Wednesday at 2.45pm Mrs Nel will be talking about Willow Class and on Thursday at 3.00pm Miss Hadland will be talking about Oak Class. If you cannot make those times, do introduce yourself to the teacher when you can.
I am pleased to let you know that Mandy O’Sullivan was re-elected to serve as Parent Governor. Thank you to her, Alistair Searle and Anneka Struele for putting themselves forward for this task. We have also appointed Jonathan Nicholl as a Foundation (church) governor and further appointments are in progress. I will report back on those once completed. The governors do an enormously important job in terms of supporting, challenging and developing the school, so I am always very grateful to everybody who gets involved in this way. If you would like to contact a governor, many can be found in the playground, or contact details can be found on the school website.
The pattern for this for the autumn and spring terms will be Beech Class on Mondays and Oak Class on Tuesdays. This starts for Year 6 on Monday 16th September and a mix of Year 4 and Year 3 on Tuesday 17th September (we will send out details of which children that involves next week). If you would like to volunteer to help at any of the sessions, please contact the school office.
Abseiling Teddies – Saturday 14th September 2019
Calling all brave teddies and daring dolls! We are looking for fearless volunteers from the toy chest to zip down from the top of Islip church tower. All brave toys of mostly any size should come along to Cross Tree Green on Saturday 14th September between 2-4pm. Certificates will be awarded to those who complete this big adventure! Tea and cakes will be available for spectators. The event will be in aid of our village church funds.
This starts for children in Beech Class next Friday 13th September. A separate letter has been sent regarding this.
Most of the dates for the year have now been determined and are listed below and will be added to the website soon. Please do check them and write them in and note that half term dates and the early May Bank Holiday may not be as you expect.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Fergal, for settling so beautifully into Willow Class;
- Ash Class: Emmy, for fabulous handwriting; Ruby, for being super helpful in the classroom;
- Oak Class: Asher, for always being ready to learn; Lilly S, for putting her best effort into everything;
- Beech Class: Tausif, for settling into Beech Class so well; Flyn, for a fantastic start to the year.
Our Christian Value this term is Friendship. Ask your child about the friendship between David and Jonathan.
Future events (w/b 9th September)
- 09/09/2019 3.00pm Beech Class meeting
- 10/09/2019 3.00pm Ash Class meeting
- 11/09/2019 2.45pm Willow Class meeting
- 12/09/2019 3.00pm Oak Class meeting
- 13/09/2019 Beech Class swimming
Dates for the year
- 23/09/2019 3.00pm Residential briefing for Beech Class
- 27/09/2019 2.00pm Harvest Festival
- 02/10/2019 Beech Class trip
- 10/10/2019 Flu vaccinations
- 18/10/2019 Oak Class charity event
- 25/10/2019 2.30pm Beech Class assembly
- 28/10/2019 Half term week
- 04/11/2019 Science Week
- 08/11/2019 Individual photographs
- 11/11/2019 10.45am Remembrance event at the War Memorial
- 15/11/2019 Children in Need
- 20/11/2019 Parent consultations
- 21/11/2019 Parent consultations
- 06/12/2019 St Nicholas Service at the church
- 11/12/2019 9.30am Willow Class nativity at school
- 12/12/2019 Pantomime trip
- 13/12/2019 Children’s bazaar
- 16/12/2019 Wellbeing Day
- 17/12/2019 2.00pm Ash Class nativity in the church
- End of term
- 18/12/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 19/12/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 06/01/2020 Start of term
- 17/01/2020 Beech Class charity event
- 05/02/2020 Reception/Y6 heights and weights measurement
- 14/02/2020 Soup Lunch and Talent Show in the Village Hall
- 17/02/2020 Half term week
- 05/05/2020 World Book Day
- 06/03/2020 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 15/03/2020 Red Nose Day
- 27/03/2020 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/04/2020 2.00pm Oak Class Stations of the Cross service in the church
- End of term
- 20/04/2020 Start of term
- 08/05/2020 Friday Bank Holiday – school closed
- 22/05/2020 May Day
- 25/05/2020 Half term week
- 08/06/2020 Beech Class residential
- 23/06/2020 Sports Day (all day, with family picnic at lunchtime)
- 01/07/2020 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production in the Village Hall
- 09/07/2020 1.30pm and 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production in the Village Hall
- 10/07/2020 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 15/07/2020 Reserve Sports Day
- 17/07/2020 2.00pm Leavers’ Service in the church
- End of term
- 20/07/2020 INSET Day – school closed
- 21/07/2020 INSET Day – school closed