Oak Class Charity Event
As part of our broader curriculum we try to encourage the children to think about how to help good causes. On Wednesday children from Oak Class will be running simple stalls from 3.00pm onwards. Please come to support them and send your child (even if not in Oak Class) with some change to spend.
World Book Day
This annual event is fast approaching and will take place next Thursday 2nd March; we are inviting the children to dress as a book character. There will be a prize for each class for the most imaginative costume. There will also be book themed events on the day.
Book tokens were sent out today – please ask at the office if yours didn’t reach home for any reason!
Miss Prud’homme will be running sessions to help parents (from any class) understand how the teaching of phonics works. If you want to find out more go to Willow Class next Thursday at either 2.45pm or 7.00pm.
Today we handed out 45 certificates to children who managed to come to school every day last half-term. 100% attendance was no mean feat bearing in mind all the illnesses going round.
Soup Lunch thank you
Thank you very much to everyone who supported the soup lunch before half term. We are very grateful to all those who made soup and chilli, baked cakes and helped serve the hungry hordes! Thank you also to those who came to the lunch and brought along friends and family. We raised £376.59 which is fantastic and will go towards playground markings for use at playtime and in PE.
Quiz Night Saturday 18th March
It is our very popular annual quiz night on Saturday 18th March at 7.30 at Islip Village Hall. An event not to be missed! Please join us for a brilliant evening of brain teasers, delicious food and much merriment! Tickets are £14 each and include a delicious meal. All proceeds go to the Friends of Dr South’s – we are currently fundraising for playground markings which will benefit all the children. It would be great to see lots of people there – you can either form your own team (4-8 people) or ask to be placed in a team. Tickets are available now from [email protected] or speak to Sophie (Islay, Flora and Noah’s mum) or Niki (Aoife and Joe’s mum). Places are limited so book as soon as possible!
Big Bike Ride
This will take place on Sunday 7th May. Many riders and helpers will be needed, so save the date now. If you are interested in riding, go to http://www.islipbigbikeride.com/ for more information. This is a massive fundraiser for the school and the church, so do try to support it in some way.
This week we congratulated:
- Cookery: Joseph B, for his mature attitude to trying new foods;
- Art: Jamie, for fantastic clay work; Katie, for outstanding work all week;
- Sport: Mia, for great enthusiasm and effort; Erfan, for fantastic listening during hockey goalkeeping lessons;
- Willow: Tom, for fantastic reading;
- Ash: Noah M and Agnes H, for great work in music;
- Oak: Mila, for amazing writing; Marcus, for greatly improved reading;
- Beech: Giorgio, for fantastic descriptive writing; Amelia, for perseverance in maths.
Thank you to parents of children in Oak and Beech classes who came to parent consultations this week. Many apologies for needing to rearrange those for Ash Class. We are expecting Mrs Weston back at school soon and will rearrange some new dates then.
Future events (w/b Monday 27th February)
- Cookery – Oak Class
- Art – Year 1
- Sport – Year 2
- Forest School – Year 3
- Forest School – Year 5
- Mr Morgan is on a course in the morning
- Miss Prud’homme is on a course in the afternoon
- Oak Class charity event at 3.00pm
- Word Book Day
- Mr Morgan is on a course
- Phonic meetings for parents at 2.45pm and 7.00pm
- Swimming – Oak Class
Useful dates for the year
- 24/03/17 Red Nose Day
- 27/03/17 am Year 5 trip to Gosford Hill School production
- 07/04/17 2.00pm Church service led by Oak Class
- End of Spring Term 2
- 24/04/17 8.50am Start of Summer Term 1
- 01/05/17 May Bank Holiday – school closed
- 07/05/17 Islip Big Bike Ride
- 08/05/17 Year 6 assessment week (SATS)
- 19/05/17 2.30pm Oak Class sharing assembly
- 26/05/17 May Day
- End of Summer Term 1
- 06/06/17 8.50am Start of Summer Term 2
- 12/06/17 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 14/06/17 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 16/06/17 2.30pm Willow Class sharing assembly
- 26/06/17 Beech Class residential
- 05/07/17 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 13/07/17 1.30pm Oak and Beech production
- 14/03/17 2.30pm Ash Class sharing assembly
- 18/07/17 9.30am Sport morning
- 20/07/17 9.30am Sport morning reserve
- 21/07/17 2.00pm Leavers’ service
- End of Summer Term 2
Our Christian value for the term is Humility. Ask your child about Jesus washing the disciples’ feet. Can your child tell you the difference between humility and humiliation?