Big Bike Ride – this Sunday 7th May
The Big Bike Ride is here! We have almost 200 riders signed up to cycle from Westminster or Thame on Sunday so please come to the Village Hall on Sunday to help to cheer them all in! There is still time to enter – visit www.islipbigbikeride.com to join the fun.
Children’s rides start at 11.00am. If you have not returned your entry slip, then you can just turn up on the day. The 3 mile ride is at 11.00am, the dress your bike competition is at 12.00 noon and the tykes and trikes ride is at 12.15pm. Meet at the Village Hall for all three events.
There will be lots of delicious food and drink (including special BBR beer), music, a bouncy castle, popcorn and candyfloss available all afternoon. Please come along to help make this a great event.
If anyone else is able to help with the children’s rides, staff the bouncy castle or serve food, please do let us know at [email protected]. Thank you!
Year 6 Assessments
Next week is SATs week for Year 6. They and the staff have worked so hard in preparation for this, and we wish them well. At this school we do our best to keep events like this low key, but it is an important week – all we ask is that they do their best.
May Day – Friday 26th May
A letter about May Day will be going out on Monday. This much-loved annual tradition includes Maypole dancing, a delicious lunch, stalls, games, a raffle and tombola. We will be collecting good quality toys, books and clothes for the stalls and would also love some donations for the raffle. Items can be left at the school office for daily collection. If you are new to the school, we will try to talk with you individually, but if you have not heard from us soon, please talk to another parent to find out what goes on.
As you may know, we are visited by a string teacher each week for children to have lessons on violin, viola, cello and double bass. All the administration for this is done by the Music Service, so please go to please go to http://schools.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/forms-and-documents if you would like your child to start these lessons in the autumn. There you will find information about pricing and how to enrol. Please also let our office staff know if you do this, so we can start thinking about timetabling for September.
Advanced notice that we shall be having a non-uniform day on Friday 19th May; please get your child to bring a raffle or tombola prize (eg chocolates, bottle of wine, bubble bath, books, sweets) in exchange for the chance to dress down.
Beech Class Residential
There will be a briefing meeting for all parents at 3.00pm on Monday 22nd May at which various forms (eg medical) will be given out. If you are not able to attend, the forms will be sent home the next day for rapid return.
Oak and Beech Production
I hope you have noted the date of Thursday 13th July. There will be an evening performance on this day, so please make sure your child is able to attend.
This week we congratulated:
- Art: Zach, for energy,enthusiasm and legendary ladybird and snail designs;
- Sport: Noah M, for great concentration and listening during mayday dancing
- Willow Class: Emily, for fantastic language choices in her story recount;
- Ash Class: Alexa, for great work finding halves and quarters; Charlie, for working hard in maths;
- Oak Class: Amie, for lovely writing; Harry, for great effort with presentation and content in his writing;
- Beech Class: Joseph, for good concentration and effort with writing; Faith, for superb problem solving skills in Maths;
Future events (w/b Monday 8th May)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art – Year 6
- Sport – Year 5
- Year 6 SATs week
- Forest School – Year 3
- Forest School – Year 5
- Mrs Halsey is on a training course
- Jessica is on a training course
- String lessons
- Mrs Cornish is on a training course
- Swimming – Oak Class
- Ash Class visit to Jacob’s Field
Useful dates for the year
- 08/05/17 Year 6 assessment week (SATS)
- 15/05/17 Year 2 assessment week
- 19/05/17 Non-uniform day
- 19/05/17 2.30pm Oak Class sharing assembly
- 22/05/17 3.00pm Beech Class residential meeting
- 26/05/17 May Day
- End of Summer Term 1
- 06/06/17 8.50am Start of Summer Term 2
- 12/06/17 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 14/06/17 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 16/06/17 2.30pm Willow Class sharing assembly
- 26/06/17 Beech Class residential
- 05/07/17 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 13/07/17 1.30pm Oak and Beech production
- 14/03/17 2.30pm Ash Class sharing assembly
- 18/07/17 9.30am Sport morning
- 20/07/17 9.30am Sport morning reserve
- 21/07/17 2.00pm Leavers’ service
Our Christian values for the term are Respect and Reverence. Can your child remember about St Francis and respect for animals, and Buddha and the swan