Dear parents and carers,
We welcome Darcy (sister of Davina) to Willow Class. She will be building up their time here over the next few weeks – be sure to say hello in the playground.
Yesterday eight children from Oak Class took part in a tennis tournament. They represented the school brilliantly, and the team came second. Well done to Mia, Emily, George, William, Agnes, Daisy, Charlie and Noah. Many thanks to Mrs Brees and Miss Goater for transporting them.
It is the time of year when children take various tests. Year 1 children will take the phonics screen in June, Year 2 will take tests in May and Year 6 children will take tests during the week beginning 14th May. The DfE has produced information for parents; to see this, click here.
May Day – Thursday May 24th
May Day is just three weeks away – do make sure that it is in your diary! This much-loved annual tradition starts at 10.30am with a procession around the village, followed by Maypole Dancing and then lunch, stalls, games and a fabulous raffle. This is a highlight of the year for many children so we would love to have your help to make it a fun occasion for everyone.
We would be very grateful for contributions to the lunch. If you are able to make or buy a quiche (or similar, e,g, Spanish omelette, savoury tart), a salad or a cake/biscuits, please could you email us at email@example.com. We would also welcome donations of good quality, nearly-new toys, games, books and children’s clothes and plants for the stalls and raffle prizes. These can be left at the school office. There will be a non-uniform day on Friday 18th May when children can come to school in home clothes in exchange for a tombola prize. This can be for either the adult or child tombola (e.g. bottle of wine, a book, bubblebath, chocolates, small toy, sweets, fun stationery, hair accessory, keyring etc). A letter is going out today with more details and an order form for lunch.
This will take place on Saturday 7th July. Although it is not strictly connected to the school, we always promote it, as we are all part of the same community. If you are able to help in any way, please contact Richard Wale of the Islip Village Hall Committee. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Finally, please note that school will be closed for the early May Holiday next Monday 7th May.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Hannah, for great independent writing.
- Ash Class: Ahana, for great May dancing; Lucas, for good work on times tables bingo;
- Oak Class: Noah, for sportsmanlike behaviour; Alice, for an amusing and informative news report;
- Beech Class: Porsha, for descriptive story writing; Amelie P, for good concentration when reading co-ordinates.
- Art Award: Seth, for creativity, excellent design skills and the ability to think on his feet
- Sports Award: Flyn, for maturity and a positive attitude;
- Cooking Award: Poppy, for using her initiative when preparing food and tidying up independently.
Our Christian Value this term is Hope. What can your child tell you about Noah’s hope after the flood, and the work of Desmond Tutu?
Future events (w/b 7th May)
- Cookery – Beech Class
- Art – Year 1
- Sport – Year 2
- School closed
- Forest School – Year 5
- Mrs Watson is away training – the class will be taken by Mrs Barnhill
- On site Teaching Assistant training
- Mrs Robertson is away training
- Mrs Brees is at a PE meeting in the morning
- Mrs Watson is away training in the afternoon – the class will be taken by Mrs Barnhill
- Miss Prud’homme is away training in the afternoon – the class will be taken by Mr Morgan
- The fire engine will be visiting in the afternoon
- Oak Class swimming
Dates for the year
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 06/06/2018 Class photographs
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- Year 5 cycling week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 07/07/2018 Islip Village Fete
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term