Many congratulations to children in Beech Class who took part in the Kidlington area rugby tournament. All the children played brilliantly and represented the school well. I am delighted to say that the two teams came second and fourth out of ten, which is a fantastic result, particularly bearing in mind we were competing against much larger schools. One team made it through to the next round and will go on to compete in Banbury later this month. Well done all!
We have a whole school science week planned for next week. I hope the children enjoy it. Many thanks to Miss Prud’homme for organising it and to the Friends of Dr South’s for funding the visiting workshop. Details of places allocated for after-school events have been sent out today to those who applied.
Beech Class Sharing Assembly
This will take place next Friday 10th at 2.30pm in the hall. Family and friends are very welcome to come and find out about what the children have been learning during Science Week.
Christmas Cards – order by 10th November
The children have been busily designing Christmas pictures this week. Each child’s design will be printed onto high quality A5 cards, with their name and date of birth printed on the back. These will be available to buy in packs of 12 and make a lovely personalised card to send to family members and friends. The children’s designs will also be available to buy as packs of gift tags, wrapping paper and thank you postcards (brilliant for those post-Christmas thank you letters!) Every pack sold raises money for the Sparkle Fund, which pays for activities and resources to enhance the children’s school experience, such as the new playground markings and the visiting science workshop next week. The children will be bringing home their designs either today or Monday, with the order form on the back. Please look out for them and return them, with completed order forms, by next WEDNESDAY 8TH NOVEMBER so that we can ensure the printed cards arrive by the first week in December.
Christmas Trees – order by 26th November
Following fantastic feedback in previous years, the Friends of Dr South’s are selling Christmas trees once again to raise money for the Sparkle Fund. The premium Nordmann Fir (non-drop) trees are delivered directly from a Scottish plantation to Mill Street in Islip for collection the first weekend in December. They will stay beautifully fresh if left outside in a bucket of water until you are ready to put them up, so don’t worry if you don’t want to start putting up Christmas decorations that early! The trees are available from 4ft to 7ft (or taller on request). Prices: 4ft+:£25, £5ft+: £35, £6ft+: £40, 7ft+: £50. Do tell family and friends too: we are happy to sell to anyone! Order via firstname.lastname@example.org or on the form coming out next week.
Save the date:
Friends of Dr South’s Children’s Christmas party, Islip Village Hall – Friday 7th December from 5pm.
Letters with a consent form were sent home yesterday to parents of children from Reception to Year 4. These will be collected from school by the nurses next Friday 10th November, so please make sure they are in by first thing then, whether or not your child will be having the spray.
Friends 100 Club
The next draw for this is on 30th November and there are still numbers available to buy at £10 per number, please contact Nicole Tucker (Lily, Year 3 and Grace, Reception).
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Audrey, for lovely independent sentence writing;
- Ash Class: Ahana, for an excellent Samuel Pepys diary; Agnes, for writing a great diary entry;
- Oak Class: Helena, for a dramatic freeze frame; Emily, for great doubling and halving;
- Beech Class: Franck, for representing his team well at rugby; Giorgio, for great determination and team work;
- Sport Award: Clara, for really good listening and carrying out instructions fully;
- Art Award: Frankie, for great enthusiasm and team work.
Our Christian Value for the term is Thankfulness. Ask your child about the lepers who did not thank Jesus. Are there times when we do not thank others even when we are grateful?
Future events (w/b 6th November)
- Science Week
- Cookery – Oak Class
- Art and Design – none
- Health and Fitness – none
- Forest School – Year 3
- Mrs Cornish is on a training course in the morning – Mr Morgan will teach the class
- Forest School – Year 5
- Mrs Watson is on a training course – Mrs Barnhill will teach the class
- Mr Morgan is on a training course
- Visit from Professor Bubbleworks
- Cross country tournament for selected children
- Beech Class assembly
Dates for the year
- 17/11/2017 Children in Need
- 06/12/2017 2.00pm St Nicholas service
- 13/12/2017 Children’s bazaar
- 14/12/2017 9.15am Willow Class Nativity
- 19/12/2017 2.00pm Nativity and carol service
- End of term
- 04/01/2018 Start of term
- 05/01/2018 Pantomime trip
- 19/01/2018 Oak Class charity event
- 02/02/2018 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 05/02/2018 Beech Class residential
- 12/02/2018 – 16/02/2018 Half term holiday
- 21/02/2018 Parent consultations (Reception upwards)
- 22/02/2018 Parent consultations (Reception upwards)
- 01/03/2018 World Book Day
- 09/03/2018 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 16/03/2018 Beech Class charity event
- 27/03/2018 2.00pm Holy Week service
- End of term
- 16/04/2018 Start of term
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term