Dear parents and carers,
Big Bike Ride – Sunday May 12th
The Big Bike Ride is next weekend! Online booking is closing on Wednesday so don’t miss out! You can sign up at www.islipbigbikeride.com. The Thame ride and the Islip rides are particularly suitable for children and are a great way for them to experience the achievement of riding a longer distance with lots of encouragement from other riders and spectators.
If you are not a cyclist, please do join us at the finish line at Islip Village Hall from 12.30pm to help to cheer the riders in. The welcome that riders receive at the finish gives them a great boost as they face the final challenge of riding up Church Lane and is something that is remembered by those taking part.
The children brought home raffle tickets last week to sell to family and friends – there are some fabulous prizes up for grabs! The draw will take place during the afternoon of the Big Bike Ride. Please can you return sold ticket stubs (and money) to the school office or give to Hannah Penwarden or Sophie Miller.
Thank you to everyone who has offered to help on the day – you are brilliant! We would still love to hear from you if can help for a short (or long!) time to serve food to hundreds of hungry cyclists, staff the bouncy castle, marshal the children’s rides or help at the finish line. We would also welcome more donations of chilli con carne (meat or veggie), cakes, flapjacks or biscuits.
Please [email protected] if you are able to help or speak to Hannah Penwarden or Sophie Miller. We could not run this extraordinary fundraising event without you, so thank you in advance for helping to make it a success.
May Day – Friday 24th May
This is fast approaching. There is a separate e-mail being sent today with further information about the day.
The children have started practising their dances for this wonderful day of the year. Please make sure that it is in your diary! Please could you also start putting aside donations of good quality books, toys, children’s clothes and plants for the stalls. It is a great excuse for a clear out!
Do you have any spare equipment you could give or lend us for Gardening Club? We are looking for secateurs, small garden forks, plant pots and bamboo canes. We are also after suitable stones to build a rockery as well as shallow dishes so we can make bee baths. Please contact the office if you can help. Many thanks.
I am sorry to announce that we will be saying goodbye to Mrs Talbot in July as she will be moving to work at a school nearer home. I would like to thank her for her years of service to the school and wish her well for the future. We have begun the process of recruiting for her replacement and I will keep you informed of progress.
We send our love and best wishes to Miss Simms who will be getting married tomorrow. We wish her and Gerry all good wishes in their married life together.
Next week we welcome two student teachers for a long term placement; Miss Lucy Hart in Ash Class and Miss Melissa Perrin in Oak Class will be with us for five weeks. I am sure you will make them welcome.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Willa, for great reading in phonics sessions;
- Ash Class: Bella, for brilliant maths; Millie N, for taking great care over her maths;
- Oak Class: Lilly S, for putting in fantastic effort to her work; Louis, for brilliant descriptive writing;
- Beech Class: Leandro, for being a fantastic helper at chess club; Archie, for enthusiasm and dedication to his work;
- Art: Jack F, for enthusiasm and producing fantastic photography;
- Sport: Abra, for excellent hand/eye/foot co-ordination;
- Cookery: Frankie, for increased confidence and trying hard to work independently.
Our Christian Value this term is Justice. Can your child tell you about the Jubilee Debt campaign?
Future events (w/b 6th May)
- Cookery: Ash
- Art: Year 1
- Sport: Year 2
- Bank Holiday – school closed
- Year 3 Forest School
- Mr Morgan is at another school in the morning
- Mrs Talbot and Miss Hadland are on training in the afternoon
- The school has a visit from the moderator of standards in Early Years.
- Tennis tournament for some children in Oak Class
- Oak Class swimming
- Ash Class at The Jacobs’ Field
Dates for the year
- 06/05/2019 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 12/05/2018 Big Bike Ride
- 13/05/2019 Year 6 Assessment week (SATS)
- 24/05/2019 May Day
- 27/05/2019 Half term week
- 03/06/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 10/06/2019 Beech Class residential week
- 14/06/2019 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 02/07/2019 Sport morning
- 10/07/2019 2.00pm – Ash and Willow Class production
- 18/07/2019 1.30pm and 6.00pm – Oak and Beech Class production
- 24/07/2019 2.00pm – Leavers’ Service
- 3.15pm – end of term
- 02/09/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 03/09/2019 Term starts for children