Dear parents and carers,
I hope your child has enjoyed Science Week. There has been a real buzz around the school and great fun has been had in the after-school science clubs. Many thanks to Miss Prud’homme for organising this, and to the Friends of Dr South’s for helping fund the scientist with visiting experiments on Thursday.
Thank you to those who have donated towards the after-school science activities. If you would like to and feel able to donate some money towards resources if your child took part in these, please send it to the office.
Your child will bring home a booklet of activities today (one per family). I hope you enjoy trying these out.
These will be available from the school office from Monday. If you would like your child to have one, please ask them to come to the office first thing in the morning.
Request for materials
We are collecting resources for art. If you have any glass jam jars (with or without lids) to spare, please bring them in to the office. Many thanks.
We recently did a stocktake of books at school and have discovered that many of our sets of books are incomplete. Please have a look at home to see if you have any lurking under the bed or at the back of shelves. We are particularly keen to track down the ditty books we use for phonics (ReadWriteInc, RWI).
This will be on Tuesday 18th December. We will be asking for definite numbers of children nearer the time, but in the meantime, please put it in your dairy.
We are delighted to announce that Mrs Cornish is pregnant and is expecting her first child in the spring. We wish her well with this. The school has started the process of recruiting a teacher to cover and we will keep you informed of progress with this.
Next week we welcome Miss Alice Rockett to Beech Class. She is a student teacher who will be with us until 14th December. I am sure you will make her welcome.
Islip Carol Concert
All children aged 7 and up are invited to sing in the carol service at 6pm on Sunday 16th December. There will be rehearsals at 4pm on Sundays from 11th November to 9th December. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Amelie, for writing a fantastic letter;
- Ash Class: Sarah, for fantastic work on place value in maths; Emily, for skill in comparing and contrasting books;
- Oak Class: Joe, for great enthusiasm during Science Week; Noah OB, for concentration during maths;
- Beech Class: William, for an amazing sail-powered buggy; Aoife, for fabulous guided reading homework.
- Cookery: Bella, for excellent effort and following instructions beautifully;
Our Christian Value this term is Peace. Ask your child how they use the Peace Garden at school. Can they tell you any poems about peaceful places?
Future events (w/b 5th November)
- Cookery: Ash
- Art: Year 1
- Sport: Year 2
- Forest School – Year 5
- Forest School – Year 3
- Parent consultations
- Mrs Cornish is out in the morning – the class will be taught by Mrs Barnhill
- Ms Rayner is out in the morning
- Parent consultations
- Parent consultations
- Beech Class swimming
- The children will visit the church to see the World War 1 art installation
Dates for the year
- 06/11/2018 Parent consultations
- 07/11/2018 Parent consultations
- 08/11/2018 Parent consultations
- 16/11/2018 Children in Need – non-uniform and cake sale
- 06/12/2018 2.00pm – Christingle
- 07/12/2018 Visit from Bishop Colin
- 11/12/2018 9.30am Willow Nativity
- 12/12/2018 Oak and Beech classes singing to the Islip Lunch Club
- 14/12/2018 Children’s Bazaar
- FODS party
- 17/12/2108 Pantomime trip
- 18/12/2018 Christmas Lunch
- 19/12/2018 2.00pm – Ash Nativity and Carol Service
- 3.15pm – end of term
- 20/12/2018 INSET day – school closed
- 21/12/2018 INSET day – school closed
- 07/01/2019 Start of term
- 18/01/2019 Non-uniform day raising funds for an international charity
- 01/02/2019 Ash Class Assembly
- 08/02/2019 Beech Class charity event
- 14/02/2019 Beech Class Junior Citizen trip
- 15/02/2019 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 18/02/2019 Half term week
- 06/03/2019 Parent consultations
- 07/03/2019 World Book Day
- 07/03/2019 Parent consultations
- 15/03/2019 Red Nose Day
- 05/04/2019 2.00pm – Stations of the Cross led by Oak Class
- 3.15pm – End of term
- 23/04/2019 Start of term
- 03/05/2019 Non-uniform day – bring a tombola prize
- 06/05/2019 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 12/05/2018 Big Bike Ride
- 24/05/2019 May Day
- 27/05/2019 Half term week
- 03/06/2019 INSET – school closed
- 10/06/2019 Beech Class residential week
- 14/06/2019 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 02/07/2019 Sport morning
- 10/07/2019 2.00pm – Ash and Willow Class production
- 18/07/2019 1.30pm and 6.00pm – Oak and Beech Class production
- 24/07/2019 2.00pm – Leavers’ Service