The children are invited to design a cover for the programme for the Village Fete. It will be held from 12 noon to 5.00pm on Saturday 25th June and should be a great event with plenty of fun for everybody. There will be a dog show, falconry display, games and races for all ages, a tug of war and lots of other events. If your child wishes to enter the competition they should do a black and white A4 picture (to be shrunk) and bring it to the school office by 27th May (start of half term – note date change). Contact Raffy if you have any questions.
Friends’ Meeting – Thursday 5th May
All are warmly invited to a meeting of the Friends of Dr South’s at the Red Lion, Islip at 8pm next Thursday 5th May. Please come along to help plan May Day and the Islip Summer Fete and vote on funding requests. If you would like to discuss something at the meeting, please email [email protected]. We hope to see lots of you there!
May Day – Friday 27th May
May Day is only four weeks away and the children are already practising their dances for this much-loved celebration. As usual, the Friends of Dr South’s will be providing a delicious lunch, cakes, tea and coffee after the dancing and there will be stalls, children’s games, a raffle and tombola. We would love to have any donations of toys, books, clothes and plants so please have a rummage at home! We would also be very grateful for any help making quiches, salads and cakes, running stalls and serving food. If you can help, please email [email protected] or speak to Sophie Miller or Nicola Richardson. There will be a non-uniform day on Friday 20th May to collect prizes for the tombolas when children may wear home clothes to school in exchange for a tombola prize.
We have been alerted to a suspected case of impetigo, so please be vigilant. Further details at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/impetigo/Pages/Introduction.aspx
As you know, we are changing lunch suppliers in September. The new providers are looking to recruit food servers Monday to Friday, term-time only for 7.5 hours each week at £7.20 per hour. For more information please contact Les Redhead (07825 344437).
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Lilly, for great ideas when writing speech bubbles;
- Ash Class: Helena, for excellent work in maths; Flyn, for working hard in all areas of the curriculum;
- Oak Class: Poppy, for lovely work on the Amazon rainforest; Erfan, for great work with Roman numerals;
- Beech Class: Parnia, for excellent story writing.
Best wishes, Huw Morgan – Headteacher
Our Christian value for the term is Justice. Ask your child about the Jubilee Debt Campaign.
This week we have been learning about:
- Telling the time;
- Properties of 2-d and 3-d shapes;
- Character descriptions;
- The jury system;
- The Amazon Rainforest;
- Travel guides;
- Story openings and endings;
- Test preparation;
- Pin and thread pictures.
Future events (w/b 2nd May):
- A group from Oak Class will be cooking.
- Year 4 will be using the Lin Cooper Practical Skills Building in the afternoons.
- School closed.
- Forest School for Year 5.
- Miss Grimshaw will be attending her graduation – congratulations to her! The class will be taught by Mrs Cornish.
- Mrs Barnhill is on an Educational Visit training course.
- No violin and cello lessons.
- Recorder lessons.
- PE with Andy.
- Some of Oak Class will be taking part in a tennis tournament (afternoon).
- Jacob’s Field for Ash Class.
- Clarinet lessons for Beech Class.
- Swimming for Oak Class.
- Year 4 multi-generational project.
Monday 2nd May Bank Holiday – school closed
w/b Monday 9th May Year 6 tests (SATS)
Friday 27th May May Day, end of Term 5
Monday 6th June Start of Term 6
Sunday 12th June Queen’s Birthday celebration
Saturday 25th June Islip Village Fete
Thursday 23rd June Sports Morning and family picnic
Wednesday 6th July Oak and Beech production
Thursday 7th July Reserve Sports Morning (in case of bad weather)
w/b Monday 11th July Beech Class residential
Wednesday 13th July Willow and Ash production
Wednesday 20th July Leavers’ Service, end of Term 6