Big Bike Ride: Sunday 7th May
This brilliant event is almost upon us! If you have not yet signed up, please visit ww.islipbigbikeride.com asap to book your place, especially if you require transport to Westminster. We hope that lots of you will be able to join us at the village hall during the afternoon to cheer in the riders and enjoy delicious food and drink. A letter about the children’s rides went out during this week – we hope that lots of Dr South’s children will be taking part. Please return the reply slips by Tuesday 2nd May so that we know roughly how many will be riding. A huge thank you to everyone who has offered to make chilli or cakes or to help out on the day – we are extremely grateful. As always, we could not run this event without you. If anyone else is able to volunteer, please email us at [email protected] to let us know. Thank you!
Friends’ Meeting – 8pm Tuesday 2nd May
The Summer meeting of the Friends will be next Tuesday 2nd May at 8pm at Sophie Miller’s house, Appleyard, on Mill Street. We will be planning May Day so it would be great to have a good number of people there.
May Day – Friday 26th May
Unbelievably May Day is only a month away! A letter will be going out soon with more information, but please make sure that the date is in your diary now. This is a much-loved annual tradition in which all the children in the school take part. After the dancing, there will be a delicious lunch, stalls, children’s games, a raffle and tombola to keep everyone entertained. We will be collecting good-quality toys, books and clothes for the stalls so it is a great opportunity for a clear out.
Welcome to Jack and Emmeline who started in the nursery this week. Jack is the brother of Frankie, so knows the school, but Emmeline and her family are new. I am sure you will make them welcome.
We were delighted to see Miss Preedy back at school this week. As you may know, she had a motor bike accident in January, and the road to recovery has been long and hard.
This is a gentle reminder that we ask for classroom water bottles to be used just for water. There have been far too many ants interested in the contents this week! Please keep squash and fruit juice only for lunch boxes.
Advanced notice that we shall be having a non-uniform day on Friday 19th May; please get your child to bring a raffle or tombola prize for May Day (eg chocolates, bottle of wine, bubble bath, books, sweets) in exchange for the chance to dress down.
Don’t forget school is closed on Monday for the Bank Holiday.
This week we congratulated:
- Art: Melina, for great enthusiasm and skill at bridge building; Noah, for great sketching and design work;
- Sport: Jonny, for maturity and determination and a great performance at the Athletics competition;
- Cookery: Evie , for great initiative in the kitchen; Islay, for all round excellence in the kitchen;
- Willow Class: Ahana, for brilliant story writing;
- Ash Class: Logan, for trying really hard with his listening; Helena, for great sentences using commas;
- Oak Class: Max, for being fantastic at everything this week; Aoife, for good work in maths and literacy;
- Beech Class: Melina, for an interesting diary entry; Justin, for great behaviour.
Future events (w/b Monday 1st May)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art – Year 2
- Sport – Year 1
- Forest School – Year 5
- String lessons
- Governors’ Teaching and Learning Committee
- Full Governing Body meeting
- Swimming – Oak Class
- Ash Class visit to Jacob’s Field
- Mrs Halsey is on a training course
Useful dates for the year
- 01/05/17 May Bank Holiday – school closed
- 07/05/17 Islip Big Bike Ride
- 08/05/17 Year 6 assessment week (SATS)
- 15/05/17 Year 2 assessment week
- 19/05/17 Non-uniform day (bring tombola prize)
- 19/05/17 2.30pm Oak Class sharing assembly
- 22/05/17 3.00pm Beech Class residential meeting
- 26/05/17 May Day
- End of Summer Term 1
- 06/06/17 8.50am Start of Summer Term 2
- 12/06/17 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 14/06/17 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 16/06/17 2.30pm Willow Class sharing assembly
- 26/06/17 Beech Class residential
- 05/07/17 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 13/07/17 1.30pm Oak and Beech production
- 14/03/17 2.30pm Ash Class sharing assembly
- 18/07/17 9.30am Sport morning
- 20/07/17 9.30am Sport morning reserve
- 21/07/17 2.00pm Leavers’ service
Our Christian values for the term are Respect and Reverence. Ask your child about Brother Caedmon, Hilda the nun, and the Burning Bush.