Dear parents and carers,
I am delighted to let you know of two remarkable events that took place at the end of last term. Firstly, Flora (Y4), made it through to the county cross-country championships, and came 40th in the whole county, which is a tremendous achievement. Secondly, our hockey team from Beech Class also made it through to the county championships and came second. Well done to Morgan, Noah, Giorgio, Archie, Harry, Melina, Poppy, Porsha, Millie and Aoife. Thank you to the parents for help with transport, and to Mrs Brees for helping prepare them.
How lovely that we are getting some sunshine at last! Please make sure that your child is protected from the sun as we have limited shade available. A sunhat is essential, and you may wish to apply suncream in the morning before coming to school. Please do not send your child with a bottle of suncream as we have a child who is highly allergic to some of the ingredients and we need to keep track of where the allergens are at any given time.
These were allocated on Monday, and I am pleased to say that our Reception class will be full in the autumn. If you have been offered a place, you must make sure you accept it by 3rd May, or it will be reallocated to another child. Do this now, before you forget!
On 25 May 2018 there are some changes to the current data protection regulations called the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). The school regards the protection of personal data relating to children and parents/carers as a very important matter. On the school website, in accordance with best practice, we have published our updated Data Protection Policy and Pupil Privacy notice. The Pupil Privacy notice outlines the pupil information that we collect, hold and share including the lawful basis about how we use this information. If you would like a printed copy of the data protection policy and privacy notice please do not hesitate to contact the school office.
St Nicholas Church is hosting its 2nd Café Church this Sunday (22nd April) – at Islip Village Hall. Coffee, juice and breakfast buns from 10am – informal worship 10.30 – 11.30. This is church but not as you know it – seated around tables with activities for children, and quizzes/ activities / discussion questions for adults. All welcome.
Quiz Night Thank You
A huge thank you to everyone who supported the quiz night last term. It was a great success and raised an amazing £1200 for the Sparkle Fund. We are enormously grateful to Nancy Dickmann and Duncan Gilbert for creating such a fantastic quiz and providing everyone with such wide-ranging, fascinating (and sometimes frustrating!) questions. We are also indebted to the superb comperes, Matt Nicholson and Dominic Preston, for their humour and adeptness in keeping the evening moving. We could not have run the quiz without a team of brilliant cooks and servers; the pudding table was a wonderful sight to behold and we had numerous compliments on the delicious food. Thank you to everyone who contributed so generously to the meal. Finally, thank you to everyone who bought tickets and came to the quiz with family and friends.
Friends Meeting – 8pm, Thursday 26th April
All are warmly invited to the Summer meeting of the Friends. This will take place on Thursday 26th April at 8pm in the Red Lion in Islip. We will be making plans for May Day and also discussing spending ideas. We love to hear new ideas and are always keen to involve as many people as possible in events, so please come along to join us if you can. If you have anything that you would like to discuss at the meeting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This week we congratulated:
Willow Class: Seth, for great independent writing;
- Ash Class: Jake, for brilliant guided reading; Tia, for impeccable behaviour;
- Oak Class: Helena, for good fraction work; Emily, for a great dramatic performance of a fairy tale;
- Beech Class: Franck, for brilliant fraction work; Giorgio, for modelling good behaviour and concentration.
- Art Award: Aoife, for excellent design work and sketching;
- Sports Award: Gloria, for continuous effort and participation throughout the week;
Our Christian Value this term is Hope. What can your child tell you about Simeon and Anna in the temple?
Future events (w/b 23rd April)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art – Year 4
- Sport – Year 3
- Forest School – Year 3
- Mrs Watson is away – Mrs Barnhill will cover the class
- Forest School – Year 5
- Teaching and Learning Governor Committee
- Mrs Watson is on writing training – Mrs Barnhill will cover the class
- Miss Goater is away
- Mrs Watson is on assessment training in the afternoon
- Oak Class swimming
Dates for the year
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 06/06/2018 Class photographs
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- Year 5 cycling week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term