A group of children from Year 5 yesterday took part in a multi-skills tournament in Kidlington. They did really well, winning several of the events, and represented the school brilliantly. Well done to all the children and thank you to Mrs Brees for taking them.
On Monday we shall be launching a new system in school, designed to promote friendships and give children positive strategies for dealing with any difficulties they may encounter. The children are to be placed into ‘families’ with a child from each year group, which means that every child has others they know and can turn to at playtime if they are lonely or upset. As part of this, on Monday the children will do activities in their groups and will reflect on how to build links. This is to be an ongoing system, so any feedback would be gratefully received. We will also send home a leaflet about preventing and avoiding bullying. (No Forest School on Monday.)
St Nicholas Service
This will be led by Beech Class in the church at 2.00pm on Wednesday 6th December. As part of the service, children are invited to give one good quality used toy or game which will be passed to children spending Christmas in women’s refuges. If your child feels that the gift is particularly suitable for a girl or a boy, it would be helpful if it could have a label on saying this, and also what age child would particularly enjoy the gift. These should be brought to school on the day.
We would also like to send gifts to the women in the refuges and would be very glad to receive toiletry and sanitary items in clear plastic bags. These can be left in the office in the run up to the service.
Children’s Christmas Disco Party – Friday 8th December from 5.30pm
All are warmly invited to this fun event. There will be a professional disco and games to entertain the children, and food and drink for all to keep everyone going! Please put the date in your diary now. We would be very grateful for help with serving food and drinks. If you can help, please speak to Niki (Aoife and Joe’s mum) or Sophie (Islay, Flora, Noah and Zachary’s mum) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will take place on Friday 15th December (please note change of date). A letter went out earlier this week, but if you are not sure how it works, please ask. There will be examples of suitable gifts in a basket outside the main office.
Applications are now open for places in Reception (F1) for next September. These can be done online at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/primaryadmissions although paper applications can also be made. Please note that even if you have a place in our nursery, you still need to apply specifically for Reception. Applications close 15th January 2018.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Hannah, for being a great role model;
- Ash Class: Emily, for lovely writing of the Nativity story; Alexa for amazing handwriting;
- Oak Class: Nishan, for a superb African fable; Leandro, for hard work across all subjects;
- Beech Class: Imogen, for great use of fronted adverbials; Evie, for persevering with fractions;
- Sport award: Davina, for great enthusiasm and encouragement to her team mates at the festival.
- Cooking Award: Isabella, for having a go at everything.
Our Christian value for the term is Thankfulness. This week we thought about the song of Simeon.
Future events (w/b 4th December)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art and Design – Year 5
- Health and Fitness – Year 6
- Forest School – Year 5
- Mr Morgan is away
- St Nicholas service
- Mr Morgan is away
- Mrs Brees is at a PE meeting
- Mrs Weston, Mrs Barnhill, Mrs Halsey and Mrs Robertson are out in the afternoon
Dates for the year
- 06/12/2017 2.00pm St Nicholas service
- 13/12/2017 Christmas lunch
- 15/12/2017 Children’s Bazaar
- 14/12/2017 9.15am Willow Class Nativity
- 19/12/2017 2.00pm Ash Class Nativity and carol service
- End of term
- 04/01/2018 Start of term
- 05/01/2018 Pantomime trip
- 19/01/2018 Oak Class charity event
- 02/02/2018 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 05/02/2018 Beech Class residential
- 12/02/2018 – 16/02/2018 Half term holiday
- 21/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 22/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 01/03/2018 World Book Day
- 09/03/2018 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 16/03/2018 Beech Class charity event
- 27/03/2018 2.00pm Holy Week service
- End of term
- 16/04/2018 Start of term
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term