Dear parents and carers,
Well done to all the children in Beech Class who took part in a multiskills activity with the Kidlington partnership of schools. They showed great sporting prowess and represented the school really well. Thank you to the large troop of parent and staff helpers who provided the transport – without you, these events would not be possible.
Welcome to James, who has joined our nursery. Do keep your eyes open for him and his family and make them welcome.
Dates for your diary
The two main Friends’ events this term are the soup lunch and talent show on Friday 15th February and the Dr South’s Quiz Night on Saturday 9th March. These are both great events so do put them in your diary!
Big Bike Ride news
We have had a flurry of entrants for the Big Bike Ride over the holidays so we now have 140 riders signed up. This is a brilliant start and it is great to see some Dr South’s parents among the riders but we would love to have even more! There are rides for all ages/abilities, from the 70 mile ride from Westminster to the 4 mile ride around the village. Please tell your friends/family and colleagues about the ride on the 12th May. It is the perfect incentive for all those New Year resolutions to be more active and there is plenty of time to start training! You can sign up on the website: www.islipbigbikeride.com. If you are able to take some posters, flyers or business cards into work, please speak to Sophie (Flora, Noah and Zachary’s mum). Thank you!
I appear to have confused a number of you with my announcement last week! We do indeed currently have two qualified teachers in Oak Class. As things stand we expect Mrs Cornish to remain as the class teacher until shortly after February half term, but in the nature of things, these situations are always subject to variation. In the meantime, Miss Hadland will be working in the class as well to get to know the children and the routines, and she will take over class responsibility when Mrs Cornish goes on maternity leave. We will take a view on the timing of parent consultations (currently scheduled for the week Mrs Cornish is due to leave) and may well move them earlier so you can talk to her before her departure. As always, if there is something you wish to discuss with any of the teachers, don’t wait until parent consultations but make an appointment for a meeting.
Do take care with the cold weather on the way to and from school as the roads and paths can be very slippery. Do also take care going home after clubs, as the dark and gloomy evenings can make the children hard to see. We are looking forward to getting our crossing patrol officer in the next month or so!
Over the next few weeks, there is a forecast of snow. I try to take a view about closure the evening before and communicate if this is likely, but it is very unpredictable. If the school is closed, I send an e-mail as soon as the decision is made and also put the information on the front page of the website. Thank you for your understanding of this very difficult of judgement calls.
Our Christian Value this term is Creativity. Can your child tell you about looking after the created world?
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Zachary, for having a really positive attitude at all times;
- Ash Class: Audrey, for progressing well with her reading; Milly N, for working hard in phonics, maths and literacy;
- Oak Class: Flossie, for fabulous myth writing; Bella, for fantastic writing of a myth;
- Beech Class: Margot, for an amazing written argument in literacy; Harry, for making speedy links between fractions and decimals.
- Art: Imogen, for trying her best and achieving great results.
- Sport: Max, for great determination and effort.
Future events (w/b 21st January)
- Art: Year 3
- Sport: Year 4
- Year 6 Forest School
- Year 4 Forest School
- Mr Morgan is at a headteacher meeting
- Beech Class swimming
Dates for the year
- 01/02/2019 Ash Class Assembly
- 08/02/2019 Beech Class charity event
- 14/02/2019 Beech Class Junior Citizen trip
- 15/02/2019 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 18/02/2019 Half term week
- 06/03/2019 Parent consultations
- 07/03/2019 World Book Day
- 07/03/2019 Parent consultations
- 09/03/2019 FODS quiz night
- 15/03/2019 Red Nose Day
- 05/04/2019 2.00pm – Stations of the Cross led by Oak Class
- 3.15pm – End of term
- 23/04/2019 Start of term
- 03/05/2019 Non-uniform day – bring a tombola prize
- 06/05/2019 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 12/05/2018 Big Bike Ride
- 24/05/2019 May Day
- 27/05/2019 Half term week
- 03/06/2019 INSET – school closed
- 10/06/2019 Beech Class residential week
- 14/06/2019 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 02/07/2019 Sport morning
- 10/07/2019 2.00pm – Ash and Willow Class production
- 18/07/2019 1.30pm and 6.00pm – Oak and Beech Class production
- 24/07/2019 2.00pm – Leavers’ Service