Children in Need – Friday 17th November
Thank you for your support for this, with particular thanks to the parents who arranged the cake sale. We have yet to count the money, but I will put the total in the newsletter next week.
Well done to the rugby team who played in the area final yesterday. The children came fourth overall from a starting pool of 46 teams which is an incredible achievement. They were commended for showing respect, great sportsmanship and Mrs Brees reported that their commitment was outstanding. Well done to you all. Thank you to all the parents who helped transport children to this event.
I have had a lovely letter from the organisers of the Remembrance concert in Bicester last week. Several children from the school went to play, and were “exemplary.” Many thanks to them for representing the school so well.
Following hot on the heels of our appearance in a book, Willow Class this month features in the magazine Nursery World. The article looks at the benefits of mixed age units. It is wonderful that our successful practice is being recognised on a wider basis – many thanks to all the Foundation Unit staff for running such a highly regarded classroom. A copy of the article is in the office if you wish to read it.
Dr South’s Christmas Trees – please order by 26th November
The final date for ordering Christmas trees is fast approaching so don’t miss out and order your tree now! An order form has been sent out by email or please just send a message to [email protected]
For those who have not had one of our trees before, the premium Nordmann Fir (non-drop) trees are delivered directly from a Scottish plantation to Mill Street in Islip for collection the first weekend in December. They will stay beautifully fresh if left outside in a bucket of water until you are ready to put them up, so don’t worry if you don’t want to start putting up Christmas decorations that early! The trees are available from 4ft to 7ft (or taller on request). Prices: 4ft+:£25, £5ft+: £35, £6ft+: £40, 7ft+: £50.
Do tell family and friends too – we are happy to sell to anyone and all profits go to the Sparkle Fund.
Children’s Christmas Disco Party- Friday 8th December from 5.30pm
All are warmly invited to this fun event. There will be a professional disco/games to entertain the children, and food and drink for all to keep everyone going! Please put the date in your diary now. We would be very grateful for help with serving food/drinks. If you can help, please email [email protected] or speak to Niki (Aoife and Joe’s mum) or Sophie (Islay, Flora, Noah and Zachary’s mum)
Applications are now open for places in Reception (F1) for next September. These can be done online at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/primaryadmissions although paper applications can also be made. Please note that even if you have a place in our nursery, you still need to apply specifically for Reception. Applications close 15th January 2018.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Kane, for brilliant work on repeated patterns;
- Ash Class: Grace, for super maths; Harley, for superb engagement in all subjects;
- Oak Class: Bella, for great skill in gymnastics; Frankie, for great work with fractions and decimals;
- Beech Class: Poppy, for superb work on dividing this week; Cecily, for an excellent explanation on how a steam engine works;
- Sport award: Solomon, for fantastic listening throughout the week and following instructions carefully;
- Cooking Award: Emily, for all round excellence in the kitchen.
Our Christian Value for the term is Thankfulness. Ask your child about the extravagant thanks of Mary Magdalene. How do we show thankfulness to others?
Future events (w/b 20th November)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art and Design – Year 1
- Health and Fitness – Year 2
- Forest School – Year 3
- Cross country final for some children
- Forest School – Year 5
- Governors’ Finance, Premises and Personnel committee
- Mrs Brees is on a training day
- Racket Club will be run by Mrs Watson
- Governors’ Teaching and Learning Committee
Dates for the year
- 06/12/2017 2.00pm St Nicholas service
- 13/12/2017 Children’s bazaar/Christmas lunch
- 14/12/2017 9.15am Willow Class Nativity
- 19/12/2017 2.00pm Nativity and carol service
- End of term
- 04/01/2018 Start of term
- 05/01/2018 Pantomime trip
- 19/01/2018 Oak Class charity event
- 02/02/2018 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 05/02/2018 Beech Class residential
- 12/02/2018 – 16/02/2018 Half term holiday
- 21/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 22/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 01/03/2018 World Book Day
- 09/03/2018 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 16/03/2018 Beech Class charity event
- 27/03/2018 2.00pm Holy Week service
- End of term
- 16/04/2018 Start of term
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term