Dear parents and carers,
I hope you have not suffered with the recent flooding and are managing to stay warm and dry. As we approach winter, I would like to remind you that if we need to close the school for any reason, we will send an e-mail and put it on the school website, as well as announcing it on local radio.
These will take place on 20th and 21st November. Please make sure you book a time to see the teachers. You can make appointments by phoning the office during the day to fix a time.
St Nicholas Service – Friday 6th December
Everybody is warmly invited to our St Nicholas service at 9.30am on Friday 6th December in the church. This is the service for which children are encouraged to bring a wrapped good quality used toy for us to pass on to a women’s refuge in time for Christmas. It would also be good to receive gift packs of suitable items for the women themselves.
Christmas Bazaar – Friday 13th December
This popular annual event is coming up soon, and for it we will be asking for donations of very small items from each family (if possible, up to 10 items per child). These items may be left at the school office from the beginning of December. They may be wrapped in cellophane, or tied up with ribbon or coloured string. Please do not wrap in Christmas wrapping paper as the children are then unable to see what they are buying. At the Bazaar the items are priced at about 20p each. For the new families, there will be a basket of example items on display in Willow Class and the Office from next week.
Portrait Tea towels
Don’t forget to order your tea towels featuring self-portraits by all the children and staff. These are lovely mementos of the school for the children and useful too! Perfect Christmas presents for grandparents, aunts and uncles! £4.50 each, with discounts for multiple orders.
All orders must be in by Tuesday, 19th November. Thank you
The next draw for the 100 Club will be next Thursday and we still have a few numbers left!
It would be great to have sold them all by the next draw so that Dr Souths can receive as much money as possible so if you do want to buy a couple of numbers please let me know asap. Many thanks for your continued support. Nicole Tucker
Christmas Trees – order by 30th November
Following fantastic feedback in previous years, the Friends of Dr South’s are selling Christmas trees once again to raise money for the Sparkle Fund. The premium Nordmann Fir (non-drop) trees are delivered directly from a Scottish plantation to Mill Street in Islip for collection the 7th/8th December (local delivery is also available). They will stay beautifully fresh if left outside in a bucket of water until you are ready to put them up, so don’t worry if you don’t want to start putting up Christmas decorations that early! The trees are available from 4ft to 7ft (or taller on request). Prices: 4ft+:£25, £5ft+: £35, £6ft+: £40, 7ft+: £50, 8ft+: £60 Do tell family and friends too – we are happy to sell to anyone! An order form has been emailed out to complete and return to the office.
New for this year, we also have an online ordering system (huge thanks to Rob Dallison!)
Children’s Christmas party – Friday 13th December.
Please save the date for a party to celebrate the end of term and the imminent arrival of Christmas! There will be food and drink for children and adults – siblings are welcome too.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Fred, for amazing reading;
- Ash Class: Willa, for showing a great improvement in confidence; Kane, for brilliant effort in all things;
- Oak Class: Milly B, for persevering in all aspects of her work; Phoebe, for great effort in maths;
- Beech Class: Abra, for wonderful singing; Mia, for fantastic work in fractions;
- Sport: Jude, for great footwork during benchball;
- Art: Seth M-S, for great encouragement and independent working;
- Cookery: Abra, for increased confidence and being proficient in all areas in the kitchen.
Our Christian Value this term is Generosity. Ask your child about the Rainbow Fish.
Future events (w/b 18th November)
- Cookery: Ash
- Art: Year 3/4
- Sport: Year 3/4
- Year 5 Forest School
- Year 3/4 Forest School
- Miss Talboys is on training in the morning
- Miss Hadland is on training in the afternoon
- Parent consultations
- Parent consultations
- Beech class swimming
Dates for the year
- 20/11/2019 Parent consultations
- 21/11/2019 Parent consultations
- 06/12/2019 9.15am St Nicholas Service at the church
- 11/12/2019 9.30am Willow Class nativity at school
- Christmas lunch
- 12/12/2019 Pantomime trip
- 13/12/2019 Children’s bazaar
- Reception class vision screening
- 16/12/2019 Wellbeing Day
- 17/12/2019 2.00pm Ash Class nativity in the church
- End of term
- 18/12/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 19/12/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 06/01/2020 Start of term
- 17/01/2020 Beech Class charity event
- 05/02/2020 Reception/Y6 heights and weights measurement
- 14/02/2020 Soup Lunch and Talent Show in the Village Hall
- 17/02/2020 Half term week
- 05/03/2020 World Book Day
- 06/03/2020 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 13/03/2020 Sport Relief Day
- 27/03/2020 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/04/2020 2.00pm Oak Class Stations of the Cross service in the church
- End of term
- 20/04/2020 Start of term
- 08/05/2020 Friday Bank Holiday – school closed
- 22/05/2020 May Day
- 25/05/2020 Half term week
- 08/06/2020 Beech Class residential
- 23/06/2020 Sports Day (all day, with family picnic at lunchtime)
- 01/07/2020 1.30pm Ash and Willow Class production in the Village Hall
- 09/07/2020 1.30pm/6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production in the Village Hall
- 10/07/2020 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 15/07/2020 Reserve Sports Day
- 17/07/2020 2.00pm Leavers’ Service in the church
- End of term
- 20/07/2020 INSET Day – school closed
- 21/07/2020 INSET Day – school closed