The year has got off to a flying start. Thank you for your support of the school and for entrusting your children to us. I have shown several visitors around recently (mostly considering sending their child here next autumn), and without exception they have commented on the lovely atmosphere in the school. This is a great reflection on the positive partnership we have – thank you (adults and children).
On Wednesday we shall have a visit from the NSPCC. They will be taking assemblies for children from Year 1 upwards, and then running a workshop for children in Years 5 and 6. A more detailed letter has gone to families with children involved; if you have any questions, please ask at the office.
Oak Class Charity Event
Oak Class will be running their charity event next Friday 19th January starting at 3.00pm. The children have planned their stalls – do come and support them.
Curriculum evening – Thursday 25th January
Last term we held events to introduce you to the English and maths curriculum and how we teach it here at Dr South’s. This term we are holding an event to explore the wider curriculum, including knowledge, skills and assessment. This is an aspect of the school which is widely valued, so do come along to find out more about Forest School, art, music, science, health and fitness, cookery, sport, history, geography and religious education. The meetings will be in the school hall at 2.45pm and 6.30pm.
Today we say goodbye to Nishan (Year 3) who is moving to a school nearer home. We wish him and his family well and hope he settles in quickly.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Bear, for great enthusiasm in phonics;
- Ash Class: Lilly S, for working hard in Maths; Asher, for working hard and independently in Maths;
- Oak Class: Bella, for counting in 10s, 50s and 100s; Orla, for great enthusiasm in everything;
- Beech Class: Ruby, for an excellent formal letter; Erfan, for brilliant behaviour and superb work all week.
- Art Award: All of Year 5, for some amazing photography and watercolour work;
- Cooking Award: Millie, for increased confidence in the kitchen and working independently.
Our Christian Value for the term is Wisdom. Can your child tell you any proverbs which illuminate wise sayings?
Future events (w/b 15th January)
Cookery: Beech Class Art: Year 6 Health and fitness: Year 5
Monday: Forest School – Year 4
Tuesday: Forest School – Year 6
Wednesday: NSPCC visit
Thursday: Year 5 athletics
Friday: Oak Class charity event
Dates for the year
- 18/01/2018 Year 5 athletics event
- 19/01/2018 Oak Class charity event
- 24/01/2018 RSPB assembly
- 25/01/2018 2.45pm and 6.30pm – curriculum evening
- 02/02/2018 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 05/02/2018 Beech Class residential
- 12/02/2018 – 16/02/2018 Half term holiday
- 21/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 22/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 01/03/2018 World Book Day
- 09/03/2018 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 14/03/2018 Oak Class trip
- Beech Class trip
- 16/03/2018 Beech Class charity event
- 19/03/2018 Sport Relief week
- 27/03/2018 2.00pm Holy Week service
- End of term
- 16/04/2018 Start of term
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term