Dear parents and carers,
We offer our best wishes to the children in Beech Class who take their Year 6 assessments (SATS) next week. Although these are predominantly an assessment of the school, it can be a stressful time for the children, and we wish them well. Many thanks to Mrs Watson and Mrs Barnhill for preparing them so well. I am sure they will do their best.
Oak Class Assembly
Family and friends are warmly invited to the Oak Class assembly at 2.30pm on Friday 18th May in the school hall. We will find out what the children have been learning this term.
May Day – Thursday May 24th
May Day is just two weeks away – do make sure that it is in your diary! This much-loved annual tradition starts at 10.30am with a procession around the village, followed by Maypole Dancing and then lunch, stalls, games and a fabulous raffle. This is a highlight of the year for many children, so we would love to have your help to make it a fun occasion for everyone.
Thank you very much to everyone who has offered to provide quiches, salads and cakes. We would be very grateful for more contributions to the lunch so please do let us know at email@example.com if you are able to make or buy a quiche (or similar, e,g, Spanish omelette, savoury tart), a salad or a cake/biscuits. We would also welcome donations of good quality, nearly-new toys, games, books and children’s clothes and plants for the stalls and raffle prizes. These can be left at the school office. A letter is going out today with more details and an order form for lunch. please could you return these by Monday 21st May.
Non-Uniform Day – Friday 18th May
A quick reminder that the children can come to school next Friday in home clothes, in exchange for bringing a prize for the adult or child tombola for May Day (e.g. bottle of wine or spirits, bubble bath, chocolates, small toy, book, game, stationery, yo-yo, ball, colouring or sticker book, sweets etc). Thank you so much for your help with this – the tombola is always a very popular stall!
Open Gardens – Sunday 3rd June
There will be eight gardens open in Islip, including the Forest School and the land at the Jacobs’ Field. If you wish to visit, please make sure you buy a ticket on the day from the Village Hall. There will be activities for you to join in to find out what the children do up there!
This will take place on Saturday 7th July. Although it is not strictly connected to the school, we always promote it, as we are all part of the same community. If you are able to help in any way, please contact Richard Wale of the Islip Village Hall Committee. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that term dates for the next two years are on the school website – click here to go straight there.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Sarah, for being a kind and helpful member of the class and a good role model in class;
- Ash Class: Asher, for great work on algae; Noah, for great research skills;
- Oak Class: Agnes, for an excellent non- chronological report on May Day; Max, for great work on area;
- Beech Class: Poppy, for her enthusiastic approach o everything; Noah, for kindness to others;
- Sports Award: Harley, for superb participation in rounders;
- Cooking Award: Porsha, for increased confidence and proficiency in the kitchen.
Our Christian Value this term is Hope. What can your child tell you about the parable of the mustard seed? Can they explain about the festival of the Ascension?
Future events (w/b 14th May)
- Cookery – Ash Class
- Art – Year 2
- Sport – Year 1
- Year 6 assessments (SATS) all week
- Forest School – Year 3
- Forest School – Year 5
- Mrs Halsey is away in the afternoon – Ash class will be taken by Mr Morgan
- Full Governors’ meeting
- Oak Class swimming
- Non-uniform day – bring a prize for the tombola
- Oak Class assembly
Dates for the year
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 06/06/2018 Class photographs
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- Year 5 cycling week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 07/07/2018 Islip Village Fete
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term