Dear parents and carers, Welcome back. I hope you had a pleasant break and that you and the children are ready for the term ahead. It’s worth checking the dates for the term just to give yourself advanced warning of things to come.
School Vision and Ethos
We have been discussing this with the children this week and have been looking at the life and works of Dr South. If you are not familiar with him, it is worth checking the page on the website to find out about the foundation of the school. http://dr-souths.co.uk/our-history/ We have also looked at our new motto: Nurture, Educate, Inspire. This relates to elements of our history, and if you want to know more, ask your child. There have been lively discussions in assembly about what this means in practice but do check the website for more information. http://dr-souths.co.uk/ethos-and-values/
Thank you for your support of the women’s refuge at the Christingle service. We have received a letter of thanks acknowledging the gifts. This term we are supporting an overseas charity; the children are busy choosing where the funds will go, but next Friday we will hold a non-uniform day to raise money for a school in a developing country. The children are invited to bring £1 (£2 per family) to take part.
Welcome to Miss Francesca Hadland, who has joined us in Oak Class. She will be taking over from Mrs Cornish as the maternity cover teacher and is working in the class beforehand to get to know the children and the routines. Do introduce yourself if you have a child in that class. Also, congratulations to Jeanette Ellis, who serves the food to the children at lunchtime, who got engaged over the holidays. We wish her much happiness for the future.
Christmas Trees thank you
A huge thank you to everyone who bought a Christmas tree from the Friends of Dr South’s or persuaded friends and family to buy one. Together, we raised over £1300 for the school, which is fantastic!
Big Bike Ride news
We have had a flurry of entrants for the Big Bike Ride over the holidays so we now have 140 riders signed up. This is a brilliant start and it is great to see some Dr South’s parents among the riders but we would love to have even more! There are rides for all ages/abilities, from the 70 mile ride from Westminster to the 4 mile ride around the village. Please tell your friends/family and colleagues about the ride on the 12th May. It is the perfect incentive for all those New Year resolutions to be more active and there is plenty of time to start training! You can sign up on the website: www.islipbigbikeride.com. If you are able to take some posters, flyers or business cards into work, please speak to Sophie (Flora, Noah and Zachary’s mum). Thank you!
Dates for your diary
The two main Friends’ events this term are the soup lunch and talent show on Friday 15th February and the Dr South’s Quiz Night on Saturday 9th March. These are both great events so do put them in your diary!
We are getting reports of these visitors over the holiday. Please check your child’s hair so we can have a pest-free start to the term. Thank you.
This is the final call to register your preference for next year. If your child is due to start in Reception next September, you must get your application in by next Tuesday 15th January. Ask for help at the office if you need it. Our Christian Value this term is Creativity. Can your child tell you any of the creation stories?
- This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Emmeline, for fantastic number sentences;
- Ash Class: Alex, for brilliant effort in literacy; Solomon, for implementing suggested improvements in his writing;
- Oak Class: Jack, for a great attitude in all subjects; Clara, for a fantastic drama about Theseus and the Minotaur;
- Beech Class: Amie, for excellent input in RE; Jayden, for showing great maturity in his approach to school;
- Art: Alex, for being imaginative, showing skill and producing fantastic work this week;
- Sport: Ella, for fantastic listening and participation.
Future events (w/b 14th January)
- Year 6 Forest School
- Mrs Forde is doing Emotional Literacy training
- Year 4 Forest School
- Thursday 17th
- Mr Morgan is at a headteacher meeting
- Year 5/6 Athletics tournament
- Teaching and Learning Governors
- Beech Class swimming
- Non-uniform day
Dates for the year
- 18/01/2019 Non-uniform day raising funds for an international charity
- 01/02/2019 Ash Class Assembly
- 08/02/2019 Beech Class charity event
- 14/02/2019 Beech Class Junior Citizen trip
- 15/02/2019 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 18/02/2019 Half term week
- 06/03/2019 Parent consultations
- 07/03/2019 World Book Day
- 07/03/2019 Parent consultations
- 09/03/2019 FODS quiz night
- 15/03/2019 Red Nose Day
- 05/04/2019 2.00pm – Stations of the Cross led by Oak Class
- 3.15pm – End of term
- 23/04/2019 Start of term
- 03/05/2019 Non-uniform day – bring a tombola prize
- 06/05/2019 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 12/05/2018 Big Bike Ride
- 24/05/2019 May Day
- 27/05/2019 Half term week
- 03/06/2019 INSET – school closed
- 10/06/2019 Beech Class residential week
- 14/06/2019 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 02/07/2019 Sport morning
- 10/07/2019 2.00pm – Ash and Willow Class production
- 18/07/2019 1.30pm and 6.00pm – Oak and Beech Class production
- 24/07/2019 2.00pm – Leavers’ Service