What an amazing week we have had! I hope the children have enjoyed it. Many, many thanks to Miss Prud’homme for organising it and for running the after-school science clubs. These have proved so popular we are looking into whether we can make them a regular fixture. Many thanks also to the parents who came to talk about their work: we learned about nursing, anaesthetics, osteopathy, NASA, the Environment Agency, animal classification, going into hospital and lots more. I would also like to thank the Friends of Dr South’s for funding Professor Bubbleworks yesterday – the children had a great time.
The children will bring home today a booklet with some further activities you can do at home – do have a go at some of them. Thank you again to Miss Prud’homme for this.
Well done to the children who took part in the area cross country races yesterday. All represented the school well and were a credit to themselves and their families. Some will be going through to the final in Banbury later this month.
Please note that there will be no official Act of Remembrance at the War Memorial tomorrow (11th), but all are welcome to join Rev Lucy and some children from school at 10.50am on Sunday. Do meet us at the War Memorial and then in the church afterwards for the Remembrance Service.
The photographer will be visiting the school next Wednesday to take individual and sibling photographs. If you would like a sibling photograph including children not at the school (or not in nursery that day), please come to school for 8.30am. Also, if you do not wish your child’s photograph to be taken, please let the office know.
Children in Need – Friday 17th November
To mark Children in Need Day next week we will be having a non-uniform day followed by a savoury and cake sale at 3.00pm. Children will be invited to dress down for the day and pay £1 for the privilege (£2 per family), and will then be able to buy snacks after school. Offers of cakes and eg cheese muffins would be gratefully received by Nicole Tucker (Lily – Y3, Grace – F1) and Kate Nudds (Isabella – Y1, Amelie – Nurs).
Christmas Trees – order by 26th November
Following fantastic feedback in previous years, the Friends of Dr South’s are selling Christmas trees once again to raise money for the Sparkle Fund. The premium Nordmann Fir (non-drop) trees are delivered directly from a Scottish plantation to Mill Street in Islip for collection the first weekend in December. They will stay fresh if left outside in a bucket of water until you are ready to put them up, so don’t worry if you don’t want to start putting up Christmas decorations that early! The trees are available from 4ft to 7ft (or taller on request). Prices: 4ft+:£25, £5ft+: £35, £6ft+: £40, 7ft+: £50. Do tell family and friends too: we are happy to sell to anyone! Order via firstname.lastname@example.org or on the form coming out next week.
Save the date: Friends of Dr South’s Children’s Christmas party, Village Hall – Friday 7th December – 5pm.
As you may know, I am passionate about preparing the next generation of teachers and spreading good practice. I am delighted to let you know that the provision in Willow Class has been the subject of research about transition, and has been featured as an example of exemplary practice in a book by Anne O’Connor (Understanding Transition in the Early Years). If you would like to have a look at what was written, there is a copy in the office you can borrow. Many thanks to Miss Prud’homme, Mrs Barnett, Nikki and Jessica for running such an amazing classroom.
Applications are now open for places in Reception (F1) for next September. These can be done online at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/primaryadmissions although paper applications can also be made. Please note that even if you have a place in our nursery, you still need to apply specifically for Reception. Applications close 15th January 2018.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Seth, for some brilliantly imaginative creations with the blocks;
- Ash Class: Felix, for great scientific knowledge; Logan, for engaging so well with science week;
- Oak Class: Clara, for brilliant work on fractions; Margot, for lovely science work;
- Beech Class: Aoife, for carrying out experiments and showing great general knowledge; Noah, for showing huge enthusiasm during science week.
- Sport award: the whole cross country team.
Our Christian Value for the term is Thankfulness. Ask your child about being thankful for food. Can your child remember where chocolate comes from and how it reaches our shops?
Future events (w/b 13th November)
- Cookery – Oak Class
- Art and Design – Year 1
- Health and Fitness – Year 2
- Forest School – Year 3
- Forest School – Year 5
- Ms Rayner is out leading Health and Safety training
- Individual photographs
- Tag Rugby next round – children from Beech Class
- Swimming gala – 12 children from Beech Class (rest of Beech Class not swimming)
- Children in Need Day – non-uniform day and cake sale
- Mrs Halsey is on a training course – Beech Class will be taught by Mrs Watson/Mrs Barnhill
Dates for the year
- 06/12/2017 2.00pm St Nicholas service
- 13/12/2017 Children’s bazaar/Christmas lunch
- 14/12/2017 9.15am Willow Class Nativity
- 19/12/2017 2.00pm Nativity and carol service
- End of term
- 04/01/2018 Start of term
- 05/01/2018 Pantomime trip
- 19/01/2018 Oak Class charity event
- 02/02/2018 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 05/02/2018 Beech Class residential
- 12/02/2018 – 16/02/2018 Half term holiday
- 21/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 22/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 01/03/2018 World Book Day
- 09/03/2018 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 16/03/2018 Beech Class charity event
- 27/03/2018 2.00pm Holy Week service
- End of term
- 16/04/2018 Start of term
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term