Dear parents and carers,
Big Bike Ride – Sunday May 12th
We look forward to seeing lots of you at the Big Bike Ride this Sunday – thank you to everyone who is helping to make this event a success. Good luck to all those riding! The Islip festivities start with the children’s rides at 11 and 12.15 and the dress your bike competition at 12. Please do come to cheer the children along the route. There will be hot food, cakes, and drinks served in the village hall from 11.30 and a bouncy castle and facepainting on the playing field. The first riders from London will probably start arriving from 12.30 and it would be fantastic to give them a friendly welcome! The raffle will be drawn during the afternoon – we have some wonderful prizes to win, so do make sure that you have some tickets.
Friends’ Meeting – Tuesday 14th May – 8pm
All are warmly invited to a Friends meeting at Sophie’s house, Appleyard, Mill Street, on Tuesday 14th May at 8pm. We will be making plans for May Day and would love some help.
May Day – Friday May 24th
May Day is just two weeks away – do make sure that it is in your diary! This much-loved annual tradition starts at 10.30 with a procession around the village, followed by Maypole Dancing and then lunch, stalls, games and a fabulous raffle. This is a highlight of the year for many children so we would love to have your help to make it a fun occasion for everyone.
We would be very grateful for contributions to the lunch. If you are able to make or buy a quiche (or similar, e.g., Spanish omelette, savoury tart), a salad or a cake/biscuits, please could you email us at [email protected].
We would also welcome donations of good quality, nearly-new toys, games, books and children’s clothes and plants for the stalls and raffle prizes. These can be left by the school office.
A letter is going out today with more details and an order form for lunch. Please return order forms by Monday 20th May.
We offer our best wishes to the children in Beech Class who take their Year 6 assessments (SATS) next week. Although these are predominantly an assessment of the school, it can be a stressful time for the children, and we wish them well. Many thanks to Mrs Watson and Mrs Barnhill for preparing them so well. I am sure they will do their best.
We have been alerted to cases of bites from the fly in this area. Please make sure that if your child is attending the Jacobs’ Field (including Forest School) they wear long clothing which covers ankles (the site of most bites). Thank you.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Jacob, for fantastic work on more and less;
- Ash Class: Noah V, for amazing work in literacy; Solomon, for fantastic focus in maths;
- Oak Class: Noah M, for an enthusiastic approach to topic lessons; Zach, for responding well to feedback during handwriting;
- Beech Class: George, for excellent effort in guided reading; Porsha, for a superb explanation about American schools;
- Art: Sarah, for a fabulous peacock design when studying African art;
- Sport: All Year 2 for participating so well in all sessions this week;
- Cookery: Isabella, for having more faith in her own ability.
Our Christian Value this term is Justice. Can your child tell you about blind Bartemaeus?
Future events (w/b 13th May)
- Year 6 assessments (SATS)
- Cookery: Ash
- Art: Year 2
- Sport: Year 1
- Year 5 Forest School
- Year 3 Forest School
- Mrs Talbot is on a training course in the morning
- Mrs Cornish is coming to visit with Felicity
- Teaching and Learning Governors’ meeting
- Finance, Premises and Personnel Governors’ meeting
- Oak Class swimming
- Ash Class at The Jacobs’ Field
Dates for the year
- 13/05/2019 Year 6 Assessment week (SATS)
- 24/05/2019 May Day
- 27/05/2019 Half term week
- 03/06/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 10/06/2019 Beech Class residential week
- 14/06/2019 Ash and Willow Class Charity event
- 02/07/2019 Sport morning
- 10/07/2019 2.00pm – Ash and Willow Class production
- 18/07/2019 1.30pm and 6.00pm – Oak and Beech Class production
- 24/07/2019 2.00pm – Leavers’ Service
- 3.15pm – end of term
- 02/09/2019 INSET Day – school closed
- 03/09/2019 Term starts for children