Year 5 Indoor Athletics
Yesterday all children in Year 5 took part in a competition in Kidlington. They undertook a large number of different activities and were a real credit to the school. Well done!
Next Wednesday we shall have a visit from the RSPB. They will be taking an assembly for children from Year 1 upwards, and then running workshops for children in Ash and Oak classes. Do ask your children what they learned.
Curriculum evening – Thursday 25th January
Don’t forget to come along to this if you want to find out more about our broader curriculum. The meetings will be held in the school hall at 2:45pm and 6:30pm.
Christmas tree thank you
A big thank you to everyone who bought a Christmas tree from The Friends of Dr South’s last term (or promoted them to friends and family!). We had a record number of orders and raised over £1,300 for the Sparkle Fund, which is absolutely fantastic.
Soup lunch and talent show – Friday February 2nd
On Friday 2nd February, it is the annual soup and jacket potato lunch followed by the much-loved talent show by the children. All are warmly invited to the village hall for delicious homemade soups, filled jacket potatoes and cakes to raise money for the Sparkle Fund. Children will be served from 12:00 and parents/grandparents/friends will be served from 12:45, with the talent show starting at 1.15pm.
A letter and order form will be sent by email – please return the order forms by Friday 26th January. All forms must be returned, even if your child is having a packed lunch or school dinner on the day so that we can ensure every child is accounted for.
We would be very grateful for offers of help to make soups, chilli con carne and cakes and to set up and serve on the day. If you are able to help in any way, please speak to Sophie Miller or Niki Richardson, or email email@example.com.
Quiz Night – save the date – Saturday 10th March
Dr South’s ever popular quiz night returns on Saturday 10th March. Put the date in your diary now for another evening of delicious food and drink, brain twisters and teasers and much laughter. All are welcome, so do invite friends and family.
Please make sure you park or wait showing consideration to other road users and people in the village. I have received several complaints recently, and the Parish Council advise me that the PCSO will be visiting over the next few weeks.
We have recently welcomed Anna and Jackson to our nursery. Anna is the sister of Matthew, Jack and Holly, and Jackson is new to our school. I am sure you will make them and their families welcome.
This week we congratulated:
- Willow Class: Molly, for lovely acting during a helicopter stories activity;
- Ash Class: Grace, for excellent spelling results; Joe, for fantastic reading;
- Oak Class: Zach, for fantastic effort and understanding in maths; George, for an enthusiastic and amusing poetry performance;
- Beech Class: Sylvia, for superb debating skills in literacy; Joseph, for huge enthusiasm to prove the Knave of Hearts was innocent.
- Art Award: Morgan, for exemplary behaviour, perseverance and good work all week;
- Cooking Award: Morgan, for being kind and helpful in the kitchen all week;
- Sport Award: All Year 5, for great co-operation and a positive attitude all week.
Our Christian Value for the term is Wisdom. Can your child tell you about the wise man and the foolish man building their houses?
Future events (w/b 22nd January)
- Cookery – Beech Class
- Art and Design – Year 1
- Health and Fitness – Year 2
- Forest School – Year 4
- Forest School – Year 6
- Mrs Watson is on a training course in the afternoon
- RSPB assembly, workshops for Ash and Oak
- Health and Safety inspection
- 2.45pm and 6.30pm – Curriculum sessions
- Miss Goater is out on First Aid training
Dates for the year
- 24/01/2018 RSPB assembly and workshops
- 25/01/2018 2.45pm and 6.30pm – curriculum evening
- 02/02/2018 Soup Lunch and Talent Show
- 05/02/2018 Beech Class residential
- 12/02/2018 – 16/02/2018 Half term holiday
- 21/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 22/02/2018 Parent consultations
- 01/03/2018 World Book Day
- 09/03/2018 2.30pm Ash Class assembly
- 10/03/2018 Quiz night
- 14/03/2018 Oak Class trip
- Beech Class trip
- 16/03/2018 Beech Class charity event
- 19/03/2018 Sport Relief week
- 27/03/2018 2.00pm Holy Week service
- End of term
- 16/04/2018 Start of term
- 07/05/2018 Bank Holiday – school closed
- 14/05/2018 Year 6 Assessment (SATS) week
- 18/05/2018 2.30pm Oak Class assembly
- 24/05/2018 May Day
- 25/05/2018 – 01/06/2018 Half term holiday
- 11/06/2018 Year 1 phonic screening week
- 15/06/2018 Ash and Willow Class charity event
- 03/07/2018 Sport Morning and family picnic
- 11/07/2018 2.00pm Ash and Willow Class production
- 19/07/2018 1.30pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 6.00pm Oak and Beech Class production
- 23/07/2018 Reserve Sport Morning
- 25/07/2018 2.00pm Leavers’ Service
- End of term